Welcome to P.S. 98M Shorac Kappock, The Magnet School of STEAM Studies. We are a 3K-5 magnet school in the Inwood neighborhood of Upper Manhattan. Our historic school building has been the heart of our neighborhood for more than 90 years. Now, we are proud to offer innovative programs supported by our magnet grant to prepare students for the challenges of the 21st century. We offer:
- A hands-on, student-led approach to learning that invites students to engage deeply with real-world challenges and big ideas.
- An immersive, interdisciplinary curriculum with a special focus on STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math).
- A choice of dual language (Spanish and English) or English-only classes for PreK – 5.
- A fun, supportive learning environment that nurtures problem solvers, independent thinkers, and active citizens.
All About STEAM
We are PS98M Shorac Kappock, The Magnet School of STEAM Studies. What does that mean? Our curriculum infuses STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math) into everything we do. Our magnet grant supports professional development to enhance pedagogy as well as additional technology, facilities, and residencies to bring our magnet theme to life. These include:
- A project-based curriculum structured around themes such as conservation and the environment.
- A technology-infused curriculum with laptops and tablets in most classrooms to support learning.
- Our Sunworks hydroponics lab, where students engage in hands-on learning while growing their own herbs and vegetables.
- Residency programs to bring the arts and sciences into the classroom through partnerships across the city.
What is a Magnet School?
We are a magnet school within the New York City DOE. As a magnet school, we are a public school, but we are open to any student within the five boroughs of New York City, not just students in our zone. Our magnet school grant provides additional funding to support professional development and special programs, facilities, and partnerships around our magnet theme. Read more about New York City magnet schools.
Here at P.S. 98M,
- We are committed to ensuring that we engage our students in rigorous, cognitively challenging lessons that prepare them to meet the demands of college and career.
- We will provide appropriate academic challenges as well as opportunities for creative problem solving and artistic expression.
- We will offer enrichment opportunities through museum visits, music and theater arts residencies, and in-depth explorations of student-selected topics.
We offer after-school care and enrichment activities five days a week to extend the school day and provide additional opportunities for learning and fun. Our after-school program is open to all students and runs from 2:20 to 5:15 p.m. each school day. Students participate in enrichment programs and special activities, including:
- Homework help
- Music, dance, and theater
3K and PreK
We offer full-day classes for three- and four-year-olds through our 3K and PreK programs. The New York City “3K for All” and “PreK for All” programs bring free, full-day, high-quality education to three-year-old and four-year-old children in New York City. Children in our programs learn through play and build important skills that will prepare them for success in Kindergarten and beyond. Children starting in PreK have the option of selecting a Dual Language class with instruction in both English and Spanish. Learn more about the benefits of 3K and PreK.
As a NYC Magnet School, we welcome applications from all students within the five boroughs of New York City. First priority is given to students living within our zoned area. Find your attendance zone and district.
- To apply for 3K, PreK or Kindergarten enrollment, follow the NYCDOE Kindergarten Enrollment Process.
- For out-of-zone enrollment (grades 1 – 5), visit our office during school hours for a Magnet School application.
We are located in the Inwood neighborhood in Upper Manhattan, near Inwood Park. We are located next to the #1 bus line and the A train and an easy walk from the 12, 7, and 20 bus lines.
P.S. 98 - Shorac Kappock
512 W 212th St
New York, NY 10034
Schedule a Tour!
We invite you to come see for yourself what makes our school different and special! Look for an upcoming open house or contact us to schedule a personal tour.